Monday, March 8, 2010

Aaaaarrrrrrrgh!

I have finally gotten myself calmed down after fighting with the FAFSA website all day long!

My step-daughter, Beth, is in Jobcorps, and she's transitioning into what could be considered the next level of Jobcorps--I think it's called ACT or On Course, or something...I can never remember. Anyway, it's set up to help students transition into regular college classes, and one of the requirements is to complete the FAFSA. No big deal, really.

Unless it's the very last day to be able to get the form completed to show Jobcorps that it's been done, accepted, and that the student will have financial aid for the upcoming semester, apparently.

That was today.

Last month, I filled out the application for 2010-2011, but apparently she needed to do the app for 2009-2010 as well, in order to start at MHCC for spring semester. She texted me today, stressing out over it, & I told her I'd get it done. I figured I hadn't had any problem with the app for 2010-2011, so the previous year wouldn't be any big deal either.

Wrong!

One of the features (a fairly new one, I think) of the online application, is that there's an option to link to your online tax record for the appropriate year & simply import the information. "Fabulous!" I thought. "Now, I don't have to try and figure out where in the world our 2008 tax forms disappeared to in the move this last summer!"

Ummmm....yeah....so, the "fabulous" part of this "simplification" is that the FAFSA then asks you how much income was yours and how much was your spouses. Okay, so, you offer me a way to get all of my income information added for me.....and then ask me for information that requires me to go find my tax forms anyway? What kind of sense does that make?!?!?

After literally hours of searching for tax forms and fighting with the application, I said, "screw it," entered $0 in a few choice boxes, and submitted the form anyway.

Screw it.

And breathe, 'Lissa, breathe....

No comments:

Post a Comment