Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm struggling with my job situation right now, and I kind of feel like I don't have a right to. I have a job, a very stable job, when a lot of people (including far too many I know and love) don't. But...I've discovered I really don't like my job, and that's unusual for me. I thought working customer service for the claims department of a disability insurance company would be rewarding--helping people cope while they're sick/injured and can't work, working with them to get them back to work, etc--but instead, I feel like a switchboard operator or like I'm giving excuses for others all day long. Not so much what I find rewarding! I'm usually so laid back and can focus more on the people I work with than the job itself when it comes to whether I enjoy going into the office more often then not. For some reason, I'm not able to do that now, and being the working spouse, I almost don't feel like I have a choice about whether to stay or move on. My husband disagrees--he told me the other day to find another job, if I don't like the one I have. He hates seeing me (and let's face it, listening to me!) hate what I do. I told him I couldn't jeopardize the one I have just to find something I like better; not in today's economy.

So, I've started really researching what I want to be doing from here on out. When I do move on from where I am, I don't want to just move to another "job". I want it to be a career, and I truly don't know what that needs to be. I've never been one of those people who always knew what she wanted to be--not like my friend, Tracy, who knew ever since I-don't-know-when that she wanted to be a teacher, and everything she did worked toward that goal. It used to drive me crazy, and still does! I feel like, at 31 years old, I should have some idea of how to use my passions and talents in the workplace to make enough money to support my family and to enjoy myself at the same time.

But I don't. Not really.

So, I think my next step is to start talking to people I know who truly love what they do (having the periodic "blech" day is perfectly acceptable, LOL)--maybe they can help me figure out where to go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment